Long-term volunteers are able to commit 3 - 18 months of volunteer work in Guatemala. Since they are able to spend a longer time with our organization, there are more volunteer opportunities available to them.
Long-term volunteers fill specific organization roles based on their skills and current needs in Guatemala. Examples of these positions include volunteer coordinators, social workers, medical support, communications, and fundraising. Click here to see what positions are currently available.
Volunteers must meet some basic requirements to be accepted into our program. These include:
- Flexibility and open-mindedness
- Willingness to work where there is a need
- Attitude of learning
- Age of 21+
- Ability to speak a minimum of conversational Spanish (some positions may require more)
- Minimum commitment of three months
- Volunteers are responsible for arranging their own arrangements for travel to and from Guatemala
- Application Fee: $50, non-refundable. This fee covers the administrative costs of arranging your volunteer experience and providing support during your visit to Guatemala.
AP1 is not located in an area commonly visited by tourists, so we offer housing and transportation arrangements for all volunteers. This is an optional service, and volunteers can choose to make other arrangements at their own expense and risk.
- Host Family: $100/week private room, $80/week shared room. Host families are local, middle-class Guatemalan families who have generously opened their homes to our volunteers. They provide basic room and board, 18 home-cooked meals per week, and a great opportunity to see how Guatemalans really live while practicing your Spanish.
- Hotel: $140/week single room, $270/week double room.These prices are estimates and may change due to exchange rate. Relax poolside or in an air conditioned room after a day of volunteering. Hotel includes outdoor swimming pool, restaurant, cable TV, air conditioning, and 24-7 security. Meals are not included in the hotel price.
- Airport Shuttle: $75/trip. Zacapa is located roughly 2.5 hours east of the Guatemala City International Airport. Our trusted driver will meet you at the airport exit and help load your bags into the private shuttle, which will safely bring you to your lodging in Zacapa.