Whether you have a week or a month, your time is valuable to us. Join us in Guatemala to make a direct impact on the lives of some very deserving kids and families.
We have several volunteer activities designed for short-term visitors. From providing invaluable care to malnourished children in a local malnutrition hospital to helping our field team with education and outreach efforts, you'll have an unforgettable volunteer experience.
Volunteers must meet some basic requirements to be accepted into our program. These include:
- Flexibility and open-mindedness
- Willingness to work where there is a need
- Age of 18+ if traveling independently, 13 if accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Ability to speak a minimum of basic Spanish
- Minimum commitment of one week
- Volunteers are responsible for arranging their own arrangements for travel to and from Guatemala.
- Application Fee: $50, non-refundable. This fee covers the administrative costs of arranging your volunteer experience and providing support during your visit to Guatemala.
AP1 is not located in an area commonly visited by tourists, so we offer housing and transportation arrangements for all volunteers. This is an optional service, and volunteers can choose to make other arrangements at their own expense and risk.
- Host Family: $100/week private room, $80/week shared room. Host families are local, middle-class Guatemalan families who have generously opened their homes to our volunteers. They provide basic room and board, 18 home-cooked meals per week, and a great opportunity to see how Guatemalans really live while practicing your Spanish.
- Hotel: $140/week single room, $270/week double room.These prices are estimates and may change due to exchange rate. Relax poolside or in an air conditioned room after a day of volunteering. Hotel includes outdoor swimming pool, restaurant, cable TV, air conditioning, and 24-7 security. Meals are not included in the hotel price.
- Airport Shuttle: $75/trip. Zacapa is located roughly 2.5 hours east of the Guatemala City International Airport. Our trusted driver will meet you at the airport exit and help load your bags into the private shuttle, which will safely bring you to your lodging in Zacapa.